K is for Kilgore Trout
from Kurt Vonnegut’s Breakfast of Champions (and other books)
Here’s one of those situations where as much as I love Kurt Vonnegut’s work, it’s been so long since I’ve read anything by him that coming up with a clear picture of a character like Kilgore Trout is hard for me. So, I drew inspiration from the source of Vonnegut’s own inspiration for this character who has appeared or been mentioned in many of his novels: science fiction novelist and Vonnegut friendTheodore Sturgeon.
Since, I do all these drawings completely in my sketchbook with no digital retouching, the hardest part is knowing when to stop. Photoshop becomes a crutch when planning a piece of art because you know you can always fix stuff later on. I’d say in each of these drawings so far there’s one part at least where I’ve overworked it and the last thing you want to do with watercolors is go too far because there’s no going back. Here, the problem area is the coloring in his face. The more I tried to fix the sickly green color it has the sicklier it got. That said, I am trying to go with slightly weird colors on some of these so it’s no big deal, really. I think my next one I may go back to black and white though just to change things up.
Check out other people’s K entries at AlphaBooks.Tumblr.com.
- 06131512 reblogged this from richbarrett
- mikewenthe likes this
- a-zombies-in-my-aarms likes this
- fourminustwoeyes likes this
- waveobabies likes this
- busybusyvonnegut reblogged this from vonnegutphile
- foraminiferae likes this
- alegnamic likes this
- vonnegutphile reblogged this from richbarrett
- andresdenkberg likes this
- manderinorange7 reblogged this from alphabooks
- manderinorange7 likes this
- skelliesntophats likes this
- comicbookalex likes this
- alphabooks reblogged this from richbarrett
- richbarrett posted this